McDermott Stuart & Ward LLP is growing! Please help us welcome our new criminal defense associate attorney, Megan Bishop. Ms. Bishop begins a successful tenure here as of October 2022.
She comes to us after spending the past six years at the Office of Colorado State Public Defender, where she served as a trial attorney. During her time there, Ms. Bishop advanced to Senior Deputy State Public Defender and was also appointed DUI Liaison for the Greeley Regional Office.
She handled thousands of cases on all charges, securing pretrial and mid-trial dismissals and trial acquittals for her clients. While Ms. Bishop is well-versed in all areas of criminal defense, her areas of expertise include DUI litigation, complex issues regarding the Intoxilyzer 9000, gas chromatography, and standard field sobriety tests.
Some of her recent presentations include:
- How to Shreck a DUI Expert, Office of the State Public Defender (2022)
- Gas Chromatography, Office of the State Public Defender (2021)
- Intoxilyzer 9000, Office of the State Public Defender (2021)
- DUI Litigation, Office of the State Public Defender (2020)
Prior Experience and Education
Before attending law school, Ms. Bishop worked for the Public Defender Service in Washington, D.C., canvassing crime scenes, serving subpoenas, and interviewing witnesses. This position made her realize she had a calling in criminal defense law.
She then earned a J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law at Austin on scholarship, graduating in 2016. During law school, she was involved in several different endeavors, including:
- Mock Trial
- The Innocence Project
- The American Journal of Criminal Law
- Criminal Defense Clinic
Ms. Bishop also worked as a research assistant for Texas Law Review publications during her 2nd and 3rd years here.
She also obtained a B.A. in Art and Performance from The University of Texas at Dallas at Richardson, TX, graduating cum laude in 2013.
Ms. Bishop’s Practice Philosophy
As a practiced trial attorney, Ms. Bishop knows what it takes to secure the best outcomes possible for her clients. She has handled thousands of cases on all charges, which has proven invaluable in developing her skills as a lawyer.
In her practice representing criminal defense clients, Ms. Bishop focuses on the following:
- The importance of outworking the other side by homing in on what an opponent may overlook
- Balancing compassionate listening with pragmatic legal advice for every client, no matter their history or charges
- Her clients’ sides of the story as it is crucial to crafting a humanizing defense narrative
- Helping others feel heard while simultaneously achieving their goals
Welcome, Megan Bishop! We look forward to celebrating your future successes at McDermott Stuart & Ward LLP.
Our Growth Couldn’t Happen Without You
Our firm’s growth and the addition of new attorneys and staff would not happen without your trust and support. Thank you for your recommendations and referrals that help us serve more individuals needing quality criminal defense representation.
Do You Need a Colorado Criminal Defense Attorney?
If you or someone you love needs such services, Megan Bishop and our other criminal defense attorneys are here to help. Call us at (303) 832-8888 to learn more about what we can do for you.