McDermott Stuart & Ward LLP is proud to announce that Joshua Nowak recently obtained a Lead Counsel Verification in Criminal Law—State Felony & Misdemeanor. This accolade comes in addition to his already impressive qualifications. Mr. Nowak is a practiced criminal defense and trial attorney committed to client-centered representation for individuals charged with crimes in Colorado courts. He has represented individuals charged with offenses as simple as Petty Offenses and as complex as First Degree Murder.
Joshua graduated from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law in 2016 after earning a B.A. Political Science, Psychology in 2013 from the University of Northern Colorado. He received the “Outstanding 1L Day Student” award and many other leadership awards while in law school.
He was admitted into the Colorado Bar in 2016 and U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado in 2021. Before joining our firm, he worked at the Colorado Public Defender’s Office, Greeley, Boulder, Denver, and Brighton, Colorado. The Adams Broomfield Bar Association awarded Joshua “Young Attorney of the Year.” While at the Colorado Public Defender’s Office, he received the award for “Outstanding County Court Lawyer of the Year.”
His professional affiliations include:
- Member, Colorado Criminal Defense Bar (2021)
- Member, LGBT Bar Association (2021)
- Board Member, Treasurer – Adams Broomfield Bar Association (June 2020 – present)
- Mock Trial Coordinator – Adams Broomfield Bar Association (June 2019 – present)
- Private Defense Attorney Bar Representative to the Sex Offender Management Board for the State of Colorado – Division of Criminal Justice (August 2021 – present)
Mr. Nowak has also published or presented the following:
- Adams Broomfield Bar Association – Effective Lawyering Over WebEx (May 2020)
- Colorado Public Defender’s Office, Brighton Regional Office – Stages of a Criminal Case (June 2020)
- American Psychological Association – Poster, Ecological Momentary Assessment with College-Age Marijuana Users: Feasibility of SMS Texting (July 2013)
Lead Counsel Verification
When Coloradoans need an attorney, they are often at one of the lowest points in their lives. The experience and expertise of their attorney can determine the outcome of their legal matter. However, people who need an attorney are also frequently unsure of which one to hire while facing a time crunch.
The Lead Counsel Verification provides those needing an attorney a quality assurance instrument that quickly and efficiently establishes an attorney’s skill and authority before they pursue their services.
To receive this designation, attorneys must meet stringent quality standards that include:
- Professional experience in a pertinent area of practice for their business
- Being current and in good standing with their state’s attorney governing body
- Having a clean disciplinary record
Lead Counsel Verification is not a lifetime designation. Reviews are performed annually on each attorney who has a Verification to confirm that they are still eligible. If they don’t continually meet these high standards, their Verification is immediately rescinded. Attorneys have the right to use the Lead Counsel Verification free of charge, confirming both Verification objectivity and credibility.
Among many other things, those with a Lead Counsel Verification commit to:
- Always treat clients with courtesy and respect
- To provide competent and diligent representation
- Uphold high ethical standards
- Comply with the Rules for Professional Conduct
- Stay in good standing with relevant bar associations
- Remain current in the practice area of their Lead Counsel Verification
McDermott Stuart & Ward LLP would like to congratulate Joshua Nowak on this prestigious designation. We are thankful for his dedication to our clients and look forward to his future accomplishments.