AREAS OF PRACTICE
Colorado State Felony →
Colorado Federal Felony →
Drug Crimes →
Sex Crimes →
Probation Violations →
DUI and DWAI →
White-Collar Crimes →
Victim’s Rights →
Civil Forfeiture →
Record Sealing/Expungement →
Civil Litigation →
Personal Injury →
Attorney Megan Bishop focuses her practice on defending clients against criminal accusations. Among her many skills, she has particular expertise in DUI litigation, including complex issues regarding the Intoxilyzer 9000, gas chromatography, and standard field sobriety tests. In addition, Ms. Bishop executes meticulous oral and written advocacy both in and out of the courtroom. She is an experienced trial lawyer, representing individuals facing charges ranging from misdemeanor offenses to class one felonies.
Ms. Bishop firmly believes that one of the keys to a successful client outcome is outworking the other side, focusing in on what an opponent may overlook. Therefore, she balances compassionate listening with pragmatic legal advice when working with each of her clients, knowing that the client’s side of the story is crucial to crafting a humanized and compelling defense narrative. With these guiding principles, Ms. Bishop hopes to help others feel heard and simultaneously achieve their legal goals.
Her legal career began with the Colorado State Public Defender, where she served as a trial attorney from 2016 to 2022. After that, she advanced to Senior Deputy State Public Defender and was also appointed DUI Liaison for the Greeley Regional Office. During this time, Ms. Bishop secured her clients’ pretrial and mid-trial dismissals and trial acquittals. In addition, she handled thousands of cases across many charges. Her experience there has proven invaluable in developing her defense and trial attorney skills.
Ms. Bishop’s passion for criminal defense ignited during her tenure as an investigator for the Public Defender Service in Washington, D.C., where she canvassed crime scenes, served subpoenas, and interviewed witnesses.
She attended The University of Texas School of Law at Austin on scholarship, graduating in 2016. There she was involved in:
- Mock Trial
- The Innocence Project
- The American Journal of Criminal Law
- Criminal Defense Clinic
During her 2nd and 3rd years at law school, Ms. Bishop was a research assistant for Texas Law Review publications.
Before earning her J.D., she obtained a B.A. in Art and Performance from The University of Texas at Dallas and Richardson, TX, graduating cum laude in 2013.
- McDermott, Stuart & Ward (2022- present)
- Office of the Colorado State Public Defender (2016-2022)
- The University of Texas School of Law (2015-2016)
- Public Defender Service, Washington D.C. (2012-2013)
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, TX, J.D., May 2016
- The University of Texas at Dalla, Richardson, TX, B.A., Cum Laude, May 2013
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS
- State of Colorado (2016)
- DUI Defense Lawyers Association
TRAININGS & PRESENTATIONS
- 2022 – How to Shreck a DUI Expert, Office of the State Public Defender
- 2021 – Gas Chromatography, Office of the State Public Defender
- 2021 – Intoxilyzer 9000, Office of the State Public Defender
- 2020 – DUI Litigation, Office of the State Public Defender
- 2020 – Domestic Violence Litigation, Office of the State Public Defender
- 2019 – County Court Appeals, Office of the State Public Defender
- 2019 – Sentencing Hearings, Office of the State Public Defender
- 2018 – Case Law Updates for 2018, Office of the State Public Defender