Joshua Nowak is an experienced criminal defense and trial attorney who has devoted his practice to client-centered representation for those accused of crimes in Colorado courts. Joshua has defended those accused of offenses ranging from Petty Offenses to First Degree Murder.
Joshua received his law degree from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law in 2016, as well as a certificate in Constitutional Rights and Remedies. Joshua worked in a variety of settings during law school including the Colorado Court of Appeals with the Honorable Judge Nancy Lichtenstein, as well as the Greeley, Boulder, and Denver Offices of the Colorado State Public Defender.
Upon graduation, Joshua began his career with the Brighton Office of the Colorado State Public Defender. While there, Joshua conducted almost 50 jury trials and achieved countless other positive results for his clients. Joshua was promoted to a Senior Deputy State Public Defender and hired as the Intern Supervisor where he trained law students hoping to begin their own careers with Public Defender systems across the nation.
Joshua was the recipient of the Adams Broomfield Bar Association Award for “Young Attorney of the Year.” Joshua also received an award from his office for “Outstanding County Court Lawyer of the Year.” During law school, he was awarded “Outstanding 1L Day Student” as well as several other leadership awards. Joshua presently sits on the Board for the Adams Broomfield Bar Association.
- McDermott Stuart & Ward LLP
- Colorado Public Defender’s Office, Greeley, Boulder, Denver, and Brighton Colorado (2016 – 2021)
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law (2016)
- University of Northern Colorado B.A. Political Science, Psychology (2013)
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado (2021)
- State of Colorado (2016)
- Member, Colorado Criminal Defense Bar (2021)
- Member, LGBT Bar Association (2021)
- Board Member, Treasurer – Adams Broomfield Bar Association (June 2020 – present)
- Mock Trial Coordinator – Adams Broomfield Bar Association (June 2019 – present)
- Private Defense Attorney Bar Representative to the Sex Offender Management Board for the State of Colorado – Division of Criminal Justice (August 2021 – present)
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Adams Broomfield Bar Association – Effective Lawyering Over WebEx (May 2020)
- Colorado Public Defender’s Office, Brighton Regional Office – Stages of a Criminal Case (June 2020)
- American Psychological Association – Poster, Ecological Momentary Assessment with College-Age Marijuana Users: Feasibility of SMS Texting (July 2013)